Welcome !!

Welcome to "The Treble and Bass of Music". I am so glad you stopped by. This blog is designed to give parents and students some direction when it comes to playing piano in the areas of technique, practicing and pedagogical information. I will also highlight certain composers that we are studying over the year and give suggestions regarding your own compositions.


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Preparing your Christmas recital piece

There are only a few weeks before Christmas piano recitals begin all across North America. How can you prepare your child or student for this joyous occasion? To begin, the very first practice at home is the most important one. Everything covered with your teacher at the lesson introducing the piece must be observed perfectly. Here are some questions to ask:
1. What note am I to begin on? Are there any clues or landmarks that can assist me?
2. What finger number must that first note use? In transferring the sound to the next note do I have to create a space between the fingers or can I play in a 5-finger position?
3. Where is the end of the first musical phrase? How am I to shape that phrase dynamically?
4. What did my teacher tell me to practice---the entire piece or a phrase each day?
5. Can I begin hands together right away or do I need time to play duets with my parent?
6. Have I created a relaxing environment to be productive during my rehearsal time at home?
7. Do I know how to contact my teacher if I discover that I am having difficulties? Avoid playing mistakes for the entire week.

Hopefully this will help guide you during your first week of practicing. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment